Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Each Peach Pear Plum

While we're on the topic of fairy tales, I wanted to share a book I found in the summer camp library. It was quite worn and a few pages are loose. The camp director said she loved the book so much that she donated it from her personal collection. I fell in love with it after the first two pages.

This clever, attention-grabbing book features all your favorite fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters (Cinderella, the three bears, Jack and Jill) in an I Spy/Where's Waldo? type setting. Short repeating rhymes give children clues to locate the (almost) hidden characters. "Mother Hubbard in the cellar, I spy Cinderella. Cinderella on the stair, I spy three bears."

Each Peach Pear Plum is an ALA Notable book recommended for baby to preschool. I would imagine that very young children would enjoy being read this book and locating the character, and early readers would enjoy the wordplay and the beat of the rhymes. It is the perfect length to keep the attention of a young child, and the pictures are detailed enough to sustain the attention of older ones. In addition to the hidden characters, there are plenty of other things to notice in the illustrations such as birds and rabbits. It is definitely worth taking a look at, I will be picking this one up for my younger cousins!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad hat you mentioned the ALA. This is a great resource for high quality literature. I can envision some ideas for lesson extensions from your description of this book, but I would like to know some ideas that you have for using this book (i.e. lesson ideas for reading/writing, arts connections, etc.)

    ReplyDelete