Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin


This week I'm supposed to blog about a picture book. Picture books? I LOVE picture books! If I wasn't still paying for my undergraduate education and balancing all of my other bills... I'd spend all (well, most) of my money on picture books. My collection is growing, and I can't wait to share my collection with my children someday.

So when asked to blog about a picture book, I of course chose one of my many favorites. I wish I could say I've know about this book since it was published, because I really would've enjoyed it as a child. I've only learned about the book recently, and immediately purchased it. I've been playing the violin since I was four years old, so almost any book featuring my favorite instrument is a definite keeper.

I couldn't have been more excited once I read this book. It's an incredible book on so many levels. As a music educator, it is a wonderful teaching tool. The instruments used in the book are described accurately, from the end pin on the cello to the double-reeding oboe. In addition, the rhyming words in the story describe groups of musical instruments, from solo to chamber group! If I haven't convinced you to read this book yet, wait... there's more!

The text written by Lloyd Moss, in addition to being accurate and meaningful, is written in rhyming couplets. These lines flow together beautifully, and have an obvious rhythm to them. If I got really ambitious I could probably write some music (or at least a great percussion beat) to go along with this book! "And soaring high and moving in, With ZIN! ZIN! ZIN! a VIOLIN, Stroking strings that come alive; Now QUINTET. Let's count them: FIVE."

No review of this book would be complete without mentioning that it is a Caldecott Honor Book for the illustrations by Marjorie Priceman. Her beautiful, colorful, swirly illustrations capture realistic looking instruments and the musicians who play them.

So enjoy a trip to the symphony with Zin! Zin! Zin! a Violin!

3 comments:

  1. Dana, I love the text-to-self and text-to-world connections you were able to make with this book. Being a music teacher and saying that you can see yourself creating a beat to the text makes you the perfect person to write a review. I love that you think about this while reading. It is a great tool for the classroom. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen this book around before and I wonder why I never opened it to see that was inside. This sounds like a great book to use with my younger music students and now I definitely have to pick it up for my collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to see what your blog was all abaout just by looking at the beautiful picture on the cover of this book. It is so intriguing to look at. It's great that you have a personal connection to this book, because when you are excited about something you shine through with your students. I'm sure there is so much to do with this book in the classroom. Can't wait ot read it for myself. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete